Making "Peace" With Your Hair!

I was doing my daily devotional reading and in one of my all time favorite books, the inspiration of the day was on a subject that I have lived for most of my adult life, that is "HAIR".  

Now the author, Sarah Ban Breathnach, whose words I adore, is not Black but she is a Woman, and she speaks Truth.  I believe the language and experience of HAIR transcends race and  touches all women. Unique to Black Women is the fact that we have actually had "to fight" for the right, to wear our God-given Natural Hair, because of Slavery.

I loved the title of her writing, it was perfect. Really there was nothing to add to it, which is how Truth works.  The concept of "making Peace with our Hair", is certainly a woman's reality, especially for women of color. For us "making Peace with our Hair" translates essentially into "GOING NATURAL".  That is, going "cold turkey" from the drugs (perms) and the instruments of destruction (hot combs and curlers), outsiders opinions (usually unsolicited advice from friends, family, co-workers, boyfriends or girlfriends), and most importantly our own demons of negative self-talk, self-image and self-esteem issues.

Here are a few of points that I thought I would share as, "food for thought".

"Hair is a living, powerful, mercurial, metaphysical energy force to be respected, reckoned with, and reconciled to, but it can not be controlled any more than atomic fusion."

"Think of all the money, time, creative energy, and emotion we invest in our hair. Yet most of the time it insists on expressing "its" authenticity..."

"We have all been brainwashed into believing that if we can just get the right shampoo, conditioner, perm, color, and cut, our hair will finally behave like that of the women in the display professions--television, film, and fashion--who, by the way do not style their own hair."

"Hair humbles us, and we need to make peace with it."

and finally,

"Above all, learning to accept your hair is part of the process of learning to love yourself."

To that, Ashe' and Amen

Lovingly,
I Am QueenNE



  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tyrannized by What? You wouldn’t believe.